Friday, December 31, 2010

Hatching a plan for 2011

The Footnote Maven's recent post "Hatching A Plan At The COG" has spurred me into action.

I know that it is time to evaluate my writing/research plan for 2010 but I have been dragging the chain as I fear that I may have failed on several fronts. As I said last year I am committed to evaluation so here goes.I will firstly produce a report card for 2010 and then formulate a plan for 2011.

2010
* Put the living before the dead - when family members visit make them the focus of my attention; I have tried to ignore the family history when the family appears - I had a big two week break when we headed to Hawaii with some of them.

* Take advantage of serendipity moments eg actively listen to the Aunts at family gatherings, take photos of family members/groups at gatherings; record notes of information shared on my smartphone, scraps of paper, serviettes - just get it down; Could do more here but have made notes and added them to TMG database with person passing on info as source.

* Use web 2.0 technologies to promote genealogy in Australia, eg GoogleWave, Twitter, GenealogyWise Australian Group; Set up Aussie group but Google Wave died. Tweeted Regularly, Tried to motivate people to use Genealogy Wise. A fair effort in this area.

* Be patient with fellow researchers who do not share my enthusiasm for technology; A challenge for me but I am learning that many genies haven't even heard of let alone use Social Media.

* Get organised; Managed to refile most papers according to a new sequence. Still an outright failure as I can barely get into my study.

* Label my Blogposts ; This is now part of regular practice and can be deleted from list.

* Post to Geniaus at least every second day; Changed to 3-4 times per week as things to blog about don't appear regularly. This is now part of regular practice and can be deleted from list.

* Go through ancestors records one by one and properly record sources for all information; Ongoing huge project. Making slow progress.

* Digitise all certificates, wills etc. in my posession; Ongoing huge project. Making slow progress.

* Scan and tag my family history photographs; Huge effort nearly completed.
 * Regularly update my website; This is now part of regular practice and can be deleted from list.

* Respond to emails from fellow genealogists in a timely manner; Need to improve in this department. Perhaps retirement in 2011 will help.

* Maintain membership of The Society of Australian Genealogists; Renewed for 2011.

* Attend Genealogy workshops/lectures. Excellent progress - have attended many lectures, have started giving talks and am booked to attend overseas conference in 2011.

Here's what I aim to do in 2011:

2011
 * Put the living before the dead - when family members visit make them the focus of my attention; 

* Take advantage of serendipity moments eg actively listen to the Aunts at family gatherings, take photos of family members/groups at gatherings; record notes of information shared on my smartphone, scraps of paper, serviettes - just get it down;

* Use web 2.0 technologies to promote genealogy in Australia, eg Blogger, Twitter, GenealogyWise Australian Group - Special emphasis on using other people's blogs for conversation.

* Be patient with fellow researchers who do not share my enthusiasm for technology;

* Get organised - Try harder

* Go through ancestors records one by one and properly record sources for all information - Ongoing.

* Digitise all certificates, wills etc. in my posession - Ongoing

* Scan and tag my family history photographs - Finish project

* Respond to emails from fellow genealogists in a timely manner;

* Become a more active member of The Society of Australian Genealogists;


* Attend and Present Genealogy workshops/lectures;

* Prepare for the 2012 National Year of Reading - Promote this event to genealogists, Read for genealogy and add to personal genealogy library.



This post was prepared for 101st EDITION OF THE Carnival Of Genealogy - My genealogy research/writing plan for 2011

2 comments:

Janice said...

Geniaus,

Your plan is very thoughtfully worked out :) You know you can focus on the living and still squeeze a bit of genealogy out of them :) Give them family history assignments lol (psst we are making family history RIGHT NOW too!)

J at Cow Hampshire

M. Diane Rogers said...

Wow! A National Year of Reading! What a great opportunity for genealogy.
I know what you mean about some genealogists and 'social media'. But those of us who do it love the results!
Good luck with all your projects. Sometimes it's 'one step at a time', but for sure you are going in the right direction.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...