Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Resolutions! Carnival of Genealogy 87th Edition

As a great believer in the place of reflection/evaluation in the process associated with any task my first task is to repost and evaluate my list for 2009 below.

*********************************************
By taking part in this Carnival I am forcing myself to reflect on the haphazard way in which I approach my genealogy hobby. I am retiring from fulltime employment this month so I should have more time to devote to my search for ancestors and distant cousins. In 2009 I will endeavour to:
* Get organised;

Still working on this one.
* Label my archive of Blogposts and all new posts;
Have retrospectively tagged and now try to tag as I go.
* Post to Geniaus every second day;
Except for holiday periods or when away from home have posted on a daily basis.
* Go through ancestors records one by one and properly record sources for all information; This is happening in a most haphazard manner - needs attention.
* Move my paper files into one sequence and out of their family-based folders;
Have sorted all files into one long alphabetical sequence by individual names.
* Digitise all certificates, wills etc. in my posession;

Partially completed.
* Scan and tag my family history photographs;
Slow process - 1600 more old photos scanned, 60,000+ digital photos tagged.
* Update and redesign my website;
Major project of transferring files and commissioning site http://www.geniaus.net is complete but, as site is continually evolving, it will never be finished.
* Respond to emails from fellow genealogists in a timely manner;
I hope that I have done so.
* Rejoin The Society of Australian Genealogists.
Have joined the Society.

************************

And now for 2010

I am fairly pleased with my progress in 2009. The retirement I had anticipated would give me lots of time was short-lived as I took on a part-time role in a family business. I would not have missed this opportunity for the world - I have enjoyed working in a completely new industry.

In addition to progressing with my 2009 resolutions I will add some more to my 2010 list. My updated list follows

* Put the living before the dead - when family members visit make them the focus of my attention;
* Take advantage of serendipity moments eg actively listen to the Aunts at family gatherings, take photos of family members/groups at gatherings; record notes of information shared on my smartphone, scraps of paper, serviettes - just get it down;
* Use web 2.0 technologies to promote genealogy in Australia, eg GoogleWave, Twitter, GenealogyWise Australian Group;
* Be patient with fellow researchers who do not share my enthusiasm for technology;
* Get organised;
* Label my Blogposts ;
* Post to Geniaus at least every second day;
* Go through ancestors records one by one and properly record sources for all information;
* Digitise all certificates, wills etc. in my posession;
* Scan and tag my family history photographs;
* Regularly update my website;
* Respond to emails from fellow genealogists in a timely manner;
* Maintain membership of The Society of Australian Genealogists;
* Attend Genealogy workshops/lectures.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you will put us before the dead relatives!!

J.M. said...

Get organised; Still working on this one. Are we ever done with this goal?

I wish you lots of luck and laughter in 2010!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...