Saturday, November 22, 2014

Currys Downunder

My maiden name is Curry, I am descended from an Irish convict,  Patrick Curry, who was transported to the colony of New South Wales in 1825. In addition to collecting information on Paddy's descendants downunder I have gathered quite a few references to unrelated Currys.

Some Australian Currys 1970
Since joining The Surname Society recently I have registered a surname study for the Curry Surname in Australia. As I have never seriously undertaken a surname study before I am on my L plates, I have taken on board advice that has been shared in the Society's forums and information on the Guild of One-Name Studies site (I'm a member there too).

How will I go about this?

  • I have opened a new project in my Family Historian software into which I have imported my Australian Currys. Several Society members already use  Family Historian for their Surname studies so there is much help available.
  • I will add any new Curry references I fins to this project.
  • I have set up a Wordpress blog through which I will share Curry stories, trivia and news as wll as reports on my research. This blog which is currently private will be launched early in 2015.
  • I already have 8,000+ Curry references in an Excel spreadsheet. I am currently massaging this data so that I can use Colin's free XL to Ged utility to convert the data in the spreadsheet to a gedcom file that I can import into my Family Historian project.
  • I will set up a few Google alerts that will hopefully retrieve some Curry news from the web. I will have to put some thoughts into crafting these so that I don't get lots of news about Indian cuisine.
  • I will search the various databases at my disposal to find Currys.
  • I will see what Mr Google can find for me on the web.
  • I will promote my study on social media so that others will be aware of  the study. The hashtag will be #CurryAus and the URL of my blog will contain CurryAus.
  • I will use Evernote as a tool to keep track of the blog and its posts.
  • Apart from that I will just learn as I go.


If you have any Australian Currys in your tree or among your friends and neighbours I'd love to hear about them. 

2 comments:

Jenny Mackay said...

My Dad was a good friend of a George Curry and his wife Flo when they lived in Geraldton, WA. However all are now deceased. George was a car salesman back in the 1960s. I can't quite remember the name of the car yard but could find out and if he had children. I was only little at the time, but I remember he was a good fishing mate of dads.
Jenny

GenieJen said...

You sound very organised with your Curry study and I'm sure it will be a success. I was so glad you mentioned Indian cuisine as that was my first thought when I read your last post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...