Sunday, December 22, 2013

Who and What is in your PLN?

personal learning network  is an informal learning network that consists of the people a learner interacts with and derives knowledge from in a personal learning environment. In a PLN, a person makes a connection with another person with the specific intent that some type of learning will occur because of that connection. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_learning_network)

PLNs are commonly referred to in the education and library circles I inhabit but I have not heard my genealogy friends discuss who and what are in their PLNs. 

In the 20th Century our PLNs probably consisted of those people we met at meetings, chatted up in libraries and encountered on bulletin boards plus the authors of the journals and books we read. In the 21st Century the internet and the emergence of social networks have enabled us to broaden the number of people with whom we share information and resources. We can connect with like-minded people all over the world.

I still learn from fellow members of my Societies and those whose lectures I attend at home and at conferences but my network now crosses borders and my communication is both synchronous and asynchronous.

My Personal Learning Network is an important element of my Lifelong Learning.

Who and What is in my PLN?

I just had a quick personal brainstorm and came up with this Wordle. I'll probably think of more things to add tomorrow but this is a good starting point.


Do you have a PLN? Have you given consideration to who and what is in your PLN?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...