Monday, May 13, 2013

William Cox Festival



Two of my convicts, James Westbrook and William Madgwick worked on the building of the road over the Blue Mountains by William Cox.

I was interested to read that the Nepean District Historical Society is hosting a mini William Cox Festival at the Arms of Australia Inn on Sunday 26th May.

The William Cox Festival will celebrate the building of a road across the Blue Mountains. Construction
started on July 7, 1814 at Emu Plains and finished on January 14,1815.  The road opened
up inland New South Wales to European settlement. As a result of their work on this road my two convicts received their Conditional Pardons.

Details of this event can be found in the Society newsletter that is published online at http://www.nepeanhistoricalsociety.org.au/imgedit/show_news1.php?id=1


2 comments:

Alex Daw said...

Thank you to your ancestors from me! Many happy holidays were spent in the Mountains in my youth.

Rosemary said...

I'll second Alex. Our annual holiday was to go up to Katoomba, stay in a flat there, and then catch buses and do all the walks, or at least as many walks as you could do pushing a stroller. I do remember we went along the Jamieson Valley walk with the stroller.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...