Sunday, October 9, 2011

30+ Pages of Notes to Digest

Terry Eakin preparing for the seminar
To say that Terry Eakin was well prepared for the Irish Research Day he ran for the Family History Group at Ku-Ring-gai Historical Society yesterday would be an understatement.

Terry's Resources
I came away with a greater understanding of Counties, Parishes, Townlands and Poor Law Unions, many online databases to check and more than 30 pages of handouts that Terry had prepared for participants. I  just need some time to reflect on the information Terry shared and to put my new found knowledge into practice. Terry brought with him an array of resources in print and CD format that he is generously lending to the society for them members' to use over the next six weeks or so.

Terry, who has travelled to Ireland 21 times, has published a number of works including Research in Ireland : with particular reference to the nine counties of Ulster. Thanks, Terry, for sharing your experiences with us.

Not at all related to the day's proceedings was meeting up with a second cousin once removed. We are both descended from convict, Elizabeth Phipps and one of her men.

Around ten years ago I had been in contact by snail mail and telephone with Elva who shared a lot of her research with me. I reciprocated by dropping off a bundle in her letterbox one day but did not get to meet her. Apparently Elva had noticed in the Society's newsletter that I had joined up and was on the lookout for me. When I was waiting for the seminar to begin I noticed Elva's name badge and we struck up a conversation that continued during the breaks in proceedings. I have to say that in spite of all the learning that took place yesterday meeting cousin Elva was the highlight of my day.
Lunch by Turramurra Ladies

I am so glad that I joined this society that has a well-stocked research centre and a great program of talks and seminars and where the members are friendly and welcoming.

Thanks to Jo Harris and the team who organised this splendid event and to the ladies of the Turramurra Uniting Church who were the lunchtime caterers.


1 comment:

Judy Webster said...

It sounds like a great day all round. Terry has made a huge contribution to family history research. I first got to know him through our mutual interest in indexing records in Archives (and other sources). I always enjoy chatting to him when we both happen to be at the same seminar or conference.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...