Monday, March 28, 2011

Where have my Google alerts gone?

There has been something missing from my email box!

I have a number of Google alerts set up that inform me about happenings in the world of genealogy. I just realised this morning that I have not seen any for a couple of weeks so I investigated. It appears that when I started using Gmail's new smart labels to classify my mail that the alerts were labelled bulk and put into a folder with that label. I have a lot of folders set up and did not see that this folder had been added. The emails with other smart labels such as Notifications and Forums still appear in my inbox and I expected all emails to still appear there.

I now have 492 "bulk" emails  that have arrived since 11 March to read. These include my gogle alerts, genealogy newsletters, offers on bargain buys and confirmation of my ebay purchases. My twitter stream might be busy this afternoon if I find interesting snippets to share amongst them.

In future I must remember to read carefully about new features that I add to my  Google account so that I have a full understanding of the implications of their installation.

2 comments:

Debbie Kennett said...

I find it easier to have Google Alerts sent as RSS feeds. It is much easier to scan through them all and you can be sure that you don't miss any of them.

Carole Riley said...

That's the trouble with anything called 'smart' - it's trying to do the thinking for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...