Monday, January 24, 2011

Blogging Tip from Schelly

One of the blogs I follow in my RSS is Tracing the Tribe: The Jewish Genealogy Blog of fellow Rootstech Official Blogger, Schelly Talalay Dardashti.

Just this week I got talking with a patient at work who told me of his interest in Eastern European Genealogy and his difficulty in locating resources. I don't know if the doc was able to mend this chap's aching spine but he left with a smile on his face. I asked if he had any Jewish ancestry in Eastern Europe and he replied yes - he left clutching a printout of a page from Schelly's blog that I know will give him leads to valuable resources.


Schelly does not just write on Jewish matters but covers items of interest to all genealogists. In a post this week she has offered this advice to genealogy bloggers:
"In what seems to be a recurring omission, many individual family history blogs do not clearly list the family surnames being researched in the blog introductions. Providing those names upfront might help readers who are also searching the same names."

I must concur with Schelly's advice. If you place the names you are researching on your blog template then they will be harvested by search engines and become available for others who are searching those names to find.

1 comment:

Infolass said...

A Genealogy Random Act of Kindness, well done!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...