Friday, November 19, 2010

Sleep gets in the way of good intentions

My plan, when I returned from the History and Genealogy Roadshow tonight and had some dinner, was to blog about the event but I am in need of some shuteye. So I'll just give a quick recap and come back and add hyperlinks to this post later.

I arrived a little late for Elaine Collins' talk on FindMyPast but enjoyed what I heard. Elaine outlined some exciting new projects in the pipeline so I was pleased that I had renewed my annual subscription last month. I just need to make time to revisit the site and do new searches for the people in my database.

Louise St Denis from The National Institute for Genealogical Studies packed a lot of content into her talk. She was an entertaining and engaging speaker.

I have a pretty good knowledge of the Google family of products but still enjoyed the three presentations by Dan Lynch that I attended. I learnt a couple of new tricks and was entertained by Dan who is a polished and professional presenter.

As my knowledge of genealogical records is a bit shallow I learnt quite a bit from Jeremy Palmer's talk on "The Parish Chest". It was the best of the three talks I have heard from Jeremy so far.

During the day I engaged in a bit of a twitterthon with Carole Riley, Gould Genealogy and Unlock the Past as we posted tweets during the talks. Those tweets can be found by using the hashtag #HGRS10 in a twitter search.

Genealogy can be a lonely pursuit; events like the roadshow give us a chance to meet and chat with people with similar interests. I was pleased to catch up with people from SAG and the Sydney TMG Users group. I am looking forward to day two of the Roadshow tomorrow when I will have a chance to add more to my knowledge.

Now for some zzzz's

1 comment:

Shelley Crawford said...

Rest up, enjoy your day tomorrow, and post when you are ready!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...