Thursday, September 12, 2024

A Picnic with Patrick

Yesterday on a sensational spring day husband and I stopped for a picnic lunch at Curry Reserve near Camden, NSW. This park, which is on the edge of the historic town was gazetted as a reserve in 1976, is special to me. On the recommendation of the local Council it was named after my 3xGreat-Grandfather, Patrick Curry, an Irish convict who had been assigned to the Macarthur family of Merino fame. Patrick is one of my favourite ancestors.

It had been several years since our last visit; we were surprised to find a lovely updated park. As we sat and watched local children playing in the beautiful water park I reflected on Patrick's life 200 years ago. I wonder what Patrick would think of this lovely facility for local families close to the area where he farmed on the banks of the Nepean RiverI recalled Paddy's words to Caroline Chisholm "I have reared a large family in comfort, want for nothing." 

I am sure Patrick would not have been able to imagine the 21st century facilities at Curry Reserve but he would have been honoured to be associated with the site. 


Lots of opportunities for cool fun





Barbeque area

Modern facilities building

Proud to visit this important family site 

6 comments:

Lilian's Tree said...

It's just down the road from my daughter's place. Lovely spot

Anne Young said...

I am sure he would have been thrilled that his descendants and the community remembered him. The water play space looks amazing and definitely beyond what would have been imagined in the 19th century.

Jennifer Jones said...

I’d love to hear more about Patrick’s life. I’m sure there is an interesting story to tell - from convict to being highly respected enough to have this beautiful reserve named after him.

GeniAus said...

We were visiting another of Patrick's ancestors who lives down the road. So much history there.

GeniAus said...

Don't have any illustrious ancestors who have sites named for them.

GeniAus said...

He was just an ordinary citizen Jennifer

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...