Friday, April 17, 2020

GeniAus - #AtoZChallenge - O is for Obituaries

During April 2020 the month of this #AtoZChallenge I will be sharing short posts on some of the 2,000+ descendants I have identified of my 3x Great-Grandmother, Elizabeth Phipps

Elizabeth Phipps 1785-1869 was a convict who was transported from England to New South Wales in 1814 per Wanstead



Charles Edward CLIFFORD was a first cousin of Frances Harriet ASHTON.



I don't know how close they were in life but in death they were very close.  They died within a few days of each other and their Obituaries were published next to each other in the Windsor and Richmond Gazette (NSW : 1888 - 1961).

It is interesting to note that Charles was allocated more column inches than Frances.

1916 'OBITUARY.', Windsor and Richmond Gazette (NSW : 1888 - 1961), 2 June, p. 9. , viewed 06 Apr 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article85880000
Continue to read the second obituary here: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article85880000

I love to connect with cousins and fellow researchers. Should you find any errors in my post or have additional information please contact me. 

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I have found a few obituaries that tell almost a life story, of when they moved to a town, when they married, etc.... fabulous info. Then the two liners... so and so died this date, his funeral will be that date.
It is so expensive these days to put an obituary with any kind of bio in the newspaper, each of my parents and my brother’s were well over $300!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...