Tuesday, April 14, 2020

GeniAus - #AtoZChallenge - L is for Legal

During April 2020 the month of this #AtoZChallenge I will be sharing short posts on some of the 2,000+ descendants I have identified of my 3x Great-Grandmother, Elizabeth Phipps

Elizabeth Phipps 1785-1869 was a convict who was transported from England to New South Wales in 1814 per Wanstead




Jessie POWELL is great (x2) granddaughter of Elizabeth PHIPPS.

Jessie's details

Jessie had been married less than 8 years to Allen Bush when her life was cut short. I do not know the cause of Jessie's death or if she left any children. Perhaps a cousin who reads this may be able to fill me in.

1945 'Family Notices', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 12 January, p. 10. , viewed 05 Apr 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17937553
Barely three weeks after Jessie's death this notice appeared in the Legal Notices Section of  the local newspaper.

1945 'Advertising', Hawkesbury Herald (Windsor, NSW : 1902 - 1945), 31 January, p. 5. , viewed 28 Mar 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66362244
Finding this notice in Trove alerted me that there should be a Probate Packet for Jessie Bush at NSW State Archives and Records. The probate packets I have previously viewed are full of documents and letters that tell so much about the deceased's life.

It was a simple task for me to use their Collection Search to see if this was so.

State Records - Collection Search Box
It took less than 5 seconds for me to have an answer.



Of course I want to see what's in the Probate File, I have three options.

If I was in a a hurry I could pay to have the file copied and sent to me for $AU32.50

As the Centre's Reading Room is currently closed due to Covid-19 the second option of engaging a researcher or asking a friend to copy the file for me is not an option.

I'm a patient old girl so will take the third option and wait until I can next visit the Reading Room. I can preorder the file from the website so that it will be waiting for me when I arrive.

How will I remember to look for it? I have that covered in my genealogy software program. The Family Historian allows me to create lists, I have created lists for several of the repositories I visit. So I have put a note with details of Jessie's Probate Packet in the List for the NSW Archives that I will consult prior to my visit.

I love to connect with cousins and fellow researchers. Should you find any errors in my post or have additional information please contact me. 

2 comments:

Molly of Molly's Canopy said...

Great post. Legal notices are invaluable. I have had success finding property transfers/sales by ancestors -- and even a notice of an auction held at one ancestor's country store. Legal notices are worth a look -- they contain all sorts of valuable family history information.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

It will be intriguing to see what’s in the packet. We’re all building up “To do” lists.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...