Tuesday, July 4, 2017

On Rations

I have been hit by a first world problem. I have to ration my data.

As many of you know we are living between two houses at the moment. At our old house I have a ginormous data allowance and can spend my days playing in cyberspace without having to worry about how much data I consume. My problem is when I am at the old house I need to devote my time to clearing out a life's worth of stuff and getting the place tarted up for sale so geneactivities take a back seat. I have emptied my study ready for its transformation into a home theatre/media room and have moved most of my technology, files and my desk and office chair to their new home.

Up at the new Lake House where I have set up my new geneacave I use my smartphone as a hotspot for internet access. Although I have 40gig of data per month on the phone I find that I can devour several gig  a day when using it as a hotspot for the laptop (a data hungry beast). I can keep up with social media, email, blog reading via Inoreader and checking new DNA matches  on my smartphone where these activities appear to use little data.

Data Rationing here at The Lake House
I can blog on the phone using an external wireless keyboard but I don't enjoy doing it that way so I don't blog (it has to be fun not a chore - right?). I can't update my websites on the phone and I find it very difficult to research promising DNA matches as I need to have several windows open to do this efficiently. Similarly when writing my sometimes weekly GeniAus Gems posts I need to have several apps and windows open at once, I missed posting last week because doing this via smartphone would have been an exercise in frustration.

In the next month or so I will transfer our landline, internet service and Foxtel service to the new home. I could throw more money at my data provider but am loathe to do this so in the interim I will be quiet in the blogisphere. 

Now, while my asthma is forcing me to rest, I am off to do some work on my FHG website, try to place some new DNA matches in my traditional tree, respond to some messages from potential DNA matches and follow Shelley's instructions for Visualising Ancestry DNA matches (until that does my head in!).

6 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

Hope you don't stay quiet for long Jill. Take care

James said...

If it's the same ISP, speak to someone about your situation, loyal customer etc, and they may have a solution.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I empathise with your frustration. Our transition period cost us a motsa. Just don't forget about blogging altogether.

Anonymous said...

Hope it is all back to normal soon.

Ellen T-J said...

Perhaps it's like here in Canada. My cell phone provider likes to ding you twice for the same meg. So using two devices (cell phone and computer) on one hotspot equals 2 meg. Had that on a recent trip to Ottawa.

GeniAus said...

That sounds feasible. Thanks Ellen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...