Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Trove Tuesday - Curry Family History

I have recently registered a Surname study for my maiden name, Curry, with The Surname Society and also started the CurryAus Blog to record the progress  of that study so today I turned to Trove.

My readers know that I am easily distracted so it's no surprise that, although I am not nearly ready to start delving into Trove's treasure for my infant study, I could not resist taking a look.

Firstly I set up a CurryAus Surname Study list in my Trove account for filing away all the interesting snippets about Australian Currys that might come my way ( these just fall into ones lap!). I found a couple of articles and added them to my new list - one can't have an empty list can one?

Then I searched for "Curry Family History" and I discovered that someone else has been tagging Curry articles with this tag. On examination I see that these refer to the Curry family from Emu Plains.  I popped these articles into my list for later use as I am trying to go about this study in an orderly fashion. I will, however, share one of these with you as it is Trove Tuesday.

Because of the poor imaage quality of the original I'm sharing a transcription. The wealth of information in this article demonstrates how valuable Trove will be for my surname study

1949 'Obituary.', Nepean Times (Penrith, NSW : 1882 - 1962), 20 October, p. 8, viewed 30 December, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article117914501

MR. W. CURRY
Mr. Walter Curry died at his resi-dence, Brougham Street, Emu Plains,on October 2, at the age of 64 years.
Mr. Curry was born at Emu Plainsand lived there all his days, greatlyrespected by the community. His fath-
er was killed in a railway accidentwhen he was only a lad. For someyears he was employed by Blue Moun-tains Shire Council, and afterward,for a lengthy period, by the Main  Roads Department, with the positionof ganger.
Mr. Curry was a keen cricketer and  captained Emu "B" team for someyears, and was captain of an Emu "B"team which defeated Penrith "A" in achallenge match in 1923. He was quitea good player.
He is survived by his wife, formerlyIvy Dukes, daughter of the late Mr.and Mrs. Thomas Dukes, of EmuPlains, and by two daughters and foursons - Ruby (Mrs. F. Smith, Penrith),Arthur (Emu Plains), Freda (Mrs. El-lison, Albion Park), Irwin, Edward,and Colin, all of Emu Plains.
The funeral took place on 4th instand was largely attended. The inter-ment took place in St. Paul's ceme-tery, Emu Plains, the last rites beingconducted by the Rector, Rev. W. A.Watts. The many wreaths includedtwo from the Main Roads staff andone from Emu Plains Cricket Club.

1 comment:

GenieJen said...

Gold, gold, gold as Norman May would have said. What an amazing amount of detail. I find that country newspapers are more inclined to give more details than city papers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...