Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Fair Day



I took very few photos at the Central Coast Family History Fair yesterday as I was a working girl. My purpose was to assist Alan Phillips on the Gould Genealogy/Unlock the Past tables at the Fair. I took orders for a few Flip-Pal mobile scanners, I even sold a scanner to a member of my Society who had come to the Fair for that sole purpose,  and answered questions about Geneacruising. But I did much more than that. Alan Phillips is rather a generous chap when it comes to supporting genealogy downunder so he was quite happy for me to chat with Fairgoers and answer their questions on any topic. Thanks, Alan, for taking me to the Fair and giving me a chance to meet with so many enthusiastic family historians.

I really enjoyed giving impromptu lessons to people on a few topics (once a teacher always a teacher). There were several enthusiastic Flip-Pal owners there who used their devices for scanning small photos but who had never tried to scan and stitch larger items. I scanned and stitched this photo of Merle Gillespie and her mother Eliza Gowans numerous times during the day as I taught these students. 



In between I answered some questions about Social Media and how one could use Facebook for genealogy, I told people about MyHeritage and its collections and gave advice on how to start one's research. I referred people wanting lookups to the FamilySearch tables as I didn't have good internet access for lookups. I was able to give some advice on researching WW1 ancestors and suggest resources to find details of Australian ancestors and so on and on and on. No wonder I was a little hoarse at the end of the day! 

Taree Family History Inc getting ready for the day 
FamilySearch had lots of giveaways
There was an enormous range of raffle prizes
I sat opposite Ben from Inside History Magazine and watched him dispense advice and information 
The Nepean Group had a steady stream of visitors
There were transcription agents in attendance
Fair Organiser Wendy Condon with Gosford Mayor, Lawrie McKinna who opened the Fair
Great to see Sharon from the Gathering Dust blog at the Fair
There were several Family History groups in attendance, State Records NSW, some commercial organisations, some stalls selling bits and pieces and a great range of refreshments on site. The only downside is that the Fair was a victim of its own success, many people who arrived just after the opening time of 9:30 expressed disappointment that they could not gain entry to any of the sessions as they were booked out. A much larger venue for the talks was needed.

Congratulations to the organisers on a hugely successful day, there must have been several hundred people through the door. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...