Thursday, April 25, 2013

25th April Australia Remembers - ANZAC Day



They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Lest we forget.


I've had tears in my eyes today as I have read others' ANZAC Day posts on various social media. I am so pleased to see my children recognising the efforts of their ancestors in various Australian conflicts.

On this ANZAC Day I particularly remember my grandfather Frank Duncan, my grandmother's first husband John Bertram Chatfield, my father Allan John Curry and his brother Thomas William Curry.

I was thrilled to discover this morning that the light-hearted nature of my holiday will be interrupted by a solemn event on my cruise ship Regent's Seven Seas Navigator tomorrow, the 25th April. I congratulate this US organisation on recognising the importance of this day to the small number of Australian and New Zealand cruisers on board. Mr Geniaus and I will be up at 6:00am tomorrow morning for the ship's Dawn Service.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hi Jill,
They were very emotional posts and great tributes. So graphic and heart wrenching reading about Bert's demise, his young wife and the death of his baby too.
It was hard times that we cannot imagine.
Sharon

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...