Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Trove Tuesday - War Memorial Hospital

I was born at The War Memorial Hospital, Waverley, NSW. It was a popular Eastern Suburbs Maternity Hospital in the 1940s and 1950s; many of my friends and aquaintances were born there. It was still operating as a maternity hospital when some of my friends were having babies in the 1970s but by the time my father was elderly in the 1990s it was a rehabiltation hospital and a place where the elderly could spend a few weeks to give respite to their at home carers.

I was hoping that I could find something about the history of my birthplace on Trove and was excited to find a link to an online book at the National Library


Sadly, when I selected the View Online option on the record I got this message "Item not found
The item you have requested is not currently available online or does not exist."

I did find mention of another book "To minister : the story of War Memorial Hospital, Waverley, 1918-1988 /​ Betty Green" with links to the twelve libraries that hold it some of which are in Sydney.

As I lived and worked in Waverley for quite a number of years I thought it would be nice to own this book so I have purchased a copy from Abe Books that I hope will appear on my doorstep some time this week.


3 comments:

Linda Ottery said...

Hi Jill,

I just came across this post. I had my tonsils removed at this hospital when I was 5 years old. The anaesthetic was ether, delivered by giving me a teddy bear to hold. remember it vividly, being given ice cream and jelly to eat. Last time I was in Sydney I saw it as we were driving past. Even though its purpose has changed, I am glad the building is still there.

Thanks for the memories

Linda

Jill Ball said...

Great stuff, Linda. It's a beautiful building.

Kate Collins said...

Hi Jill, I just came across your post. I was born at Waverley Hospital in June 1973. I was then put up for adoption. I know it's a long shot but does the name Nan Waring, ring any bells to you? She was 19 and training to be a nurse at the time. 5'4" brown hair, that's about all I know. Love to hear from you...Regards Kate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...