Sunday, September 11, 2011

Getting kitted up for Rootstech

As a newbie (and a foreigner) at Rootstech last year I was not aware of the need to have a swag of
geneabloggers's accessories. I was rather proud of the snazzy new business cards I had along with me but these paled into insignificance when I saw the array of accessories that other geneabloggers had brought along.

I'm like a schoolkid who has to have the right pencil case and the right pencils (in my day Derwents) to be part of the in crowd. Well, this poor old Granny from downunder failed dismally in the accessories race at Rootstech 2011.


Believing that it is more blessed to give than receive I felt inadequate when Thomas MacEntee adorned my person with a couple of strings of shiny red hearts and a geneabloggers ribbon, then he gave me a genealogist's baseball card and a precious Keep Calm and Cite Your Sources badge. Kerry Scott's business card was much snappier then mine. Even Joan Miller, who hails from that other British colony, Canada, had  blog ribbons to hand out.

My cupboard was bare in 2011 but I won't be making the same mistake again. I am hoping to source some Aussie kitsch to share with my GeniMates at Rootstech 2012.

If you are intending to attend Rootstech 2012 and are a firstime genealogy conference goer you had better start gathering your geegaws or you will stand out like a sore thumb.

6 comments:

Carole Riley said...

And there I was thinking Rootstech was about genealogy and technology.

Bribie Family History Association said...

I like the idea of having things to hand out other than business cards. Sounds much more interesting. I'd also like to see what Jill received last time as well as what she decides on for Rootstech 2012.

GeniAus said...

All work and no play makes Jill a dull girl

Kerry Scott said...

This is so funny, because just last week I was saying to my husband, "I need to get some cool stuff for RootsTech." We're genealogists, sure...but it's fun to share our goodies too!

Unknown said...

Uh oh...another thing I didn't know about. Thanks for the heads up!

Unknown said...

Since I just registered for RootsTech 2012 I'm glad to stumbled across your post. I guess I've got some preparing to do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...