Saturday, April 2, 2011

Genealogy and Children's Books

I will not be issuing a challenge to other genealogy bloggers to write about some books from their childhood on International Children's Book Day as my last challenge on World Poetry Day was a dismal failure.

Since 1967, on or around Hans Christian Andersen's birthday, 2 April, International Children's Book Day (ICBD) has been celebrated to inspire a love of reading and to call attention to children's books.

In a blog post last year  I wrote "The books one reads gives others a picture of one's interests and adds a bit more flavour to dry genealogical facts. If you are a reader and family historian have you recorded your reading for your descendants?" In that post I outlined the method I use to keep track of the books I have read."

I  will mark ICBD by listing ten of the children's books that I have particularly enjoyed not just from my childhood but from my days as a Children's Librarian, parent and Teacher Librarian.

1. One Dragon's dream - Peter Pavey - an exceptional Australian picture book
2. Ballet shoes - Noel Streatfeild (and all her other books) - Gave a ballet mad girl a chance to share another's dreams
3. The Boy in the striped pyjamas - John Boyne - A modern classic - Read it
4. The Very hungry caterpillar - Eric Carle  Enjoyed with children, students and grandchildren - a stunning work
5. Tomorrow when the war began - John Marsden - Suspense filled plot grasped the attention of many non-readers
6. Dancing Star - Gladys Malvern The tale of Anna Pavlova aslo fuelled a yung ballet fan's dreams
7. Sue Barton Student nurse - Helen Dore Boylston - Probably responsible for my first career in nursing
8. A Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson - Don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed this one
9. Silly verse for kids - Spike Milligan - Made poetry lessons enjoyable for the whole claass
10. Zoom - Istvan Banyai - Amazing wordless masterpiece

These are not my top ten books but just ten that spring to mind this morning. On another day this list would be different but it represents a few of the many children's boks that have made an impression on me.


Betty said...

Thanks for the list. Gives me ideas for gifts for my grandchildren.
They're still quite young, 2, 5 & 6 but some might be suitable.

Nathan Lindorff said...

on a slightly related genealogical note, my 3rd great-grand aunt married the publisher of H C Anderson. I was quite happy when i found that connection :)

with regards the books, the very hungry catapiller is a favourite in our house as well.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...