Saturday, August 22, 2026

All Things Bookish - with the SAG

Most Friday afternoons at 4:00pm members of the Society of Australian Genealogists gather for an informal collaborative online Discussion  via Zoom. In each session members discuss a theme suggested by the host for that week.

I am proud to have been one of the volunteer hosts for these sessions since their launch, I hosted my first Friday Hangout with the SAG in April 2020. 

Our theme yesterday was "All Things Bookish". I shared the graphic below, that listed a few discussion points, prior to the event  on social media.


Before the event I was delighted to hear from three members who had something to share. Thanks to Fleur, Jennie, Jennifer, Isaac, Sally, Heather, John, Judy and Danielle who came online with Bookish Bits to share. Thanks also to the many attendees who added to the discussion through posts in a very lively concurrent chat.

As we progressed through the session I gave up on taking notes of the books suggested and promised to share a list here on my blog. Following is a list of books recommended and details of two future events. 

Where possible I am providing a link to bibliographic records from Trove so you can see which libraries hold copies. If these are not yet in the Trove Catalogue I will link to publishers or vendors.

Books

Goodwin, Nathan  The Dover Trunk Murder (Fortress Dover Book 1) August 30 Release 

O'Farrell, Maggie Land 

Burke, Caro Claire Yesteryear

Strout, Elizabeth The Things We Never Say

Leevers, Jo The Museum of Second Chances

Scott, Victoria The Echo of Lost Stories

Holder , Geoff  Edinburgh (Bloody Scottish History)

Hepworth, David  Hope I get old before I die

Slaughter, Karin Will Trent Series

Cummings, Karen  Genealogy Methods and Techniques : a practical guide to research

Parker, Phillip The Royal Puzzle Book

Moore, Gareth  Around the World in 80 murders Puzzle Book

Leonhardt, Lynne  Step up Mrs Dugdale

Sepetys, Ruta  Salt to the Sea

Logan, T M  The Weekend

Bonhomme, Edna History of six plagues around the world

King, Turi  The Secrets of our DNA 

McGue, Julie Ryan  Twice a Daughter

Williams, Sue  The Duke's Secret

McKinty Adrian  The Cold, Cold Ground (Sean Duffy #1)

Lester, Natasha The Mademoiselle Alliance

Stockett, Kathryn  The Calamity Club

Mclean, Paula  The One Remaining

Mason, Meg  Sophie Standing There

Moore, Susan M The Psychology of Genealogy

Moore, Susan et. al. The Psychology of Family History: exploring our genealogy

Trump, Mary L Too Much and Never Enough : how my family created the world's most dangerous man

Bradford, Barbara Taylor  A Woman of Substance

Wright, Michelle Good Boy

Hannah, Kristin   Winter Garden

Simons, Paullina  The Bronze Horseman

Lautrec, Danielle  The Good Genealogist  2nd Ed. Book 1

Lautrec, Danielle The Good Genealogist Book 2 Tools  

Radden Keefe, Patrick  Say Nothing

Roach, Mary  Replaceable You

Garnsey, Heather Unravelled... : the life of Elizabeth Fulloon, superintendent of the Parramatta Female Factory, 1824-1827

Events

9 September 2026 Heather Garnsey Discussing Unravelled at Hawkesbury Family History Group - Register Online to attend via Zoom.

18-20 September 2026 Danielle Lautrec Book Launch - The Good Genealogist NSW/ACT Annual Conference Port Macquarie.

Jill's Recent Sightings

Borrott, Narelle Belonging in Thalaba: Settlers and Their Descendants

Frydenberg, Erica  Do Not Forget Me Street: remembering the Budapesti Schindlers

Purkeljc, Tony From the Mountains to the Plains: The Life of Tony Purkeljc

Metropolitan Memorial Park My Wishes Booklet

Gleeson, Damian John  John Joseph Therry : Irish landlord, merchant, and priest in colonial Australia

Dunn, Cathy  Norfolk Island Marine settlers Atlantic 1791.

NSW History Awards Shortlist

Prime Minister's Literary Awards - Shortlist

National Biography Award 2026 Winners

Thanks again to all the SAG Members who contributed to yesterday's Hangout. I'm now off to see where I can beg, buy or borrow some of these titles. 

Please let me know of any errors in the list 😉

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, was a great meeting. Love the list. Leanne

GeniAus said...

Thank for coming along .

johninaustralia said...

Thanks Jill, I was trying to remember the name of Karen Cummings book. I was hesitant about buying it as e-book as sometimes when you use a book like that, you want it open beside you so you can try things out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...