Saturday, November 3, 2018

Not many photos

SAG President Martyn Killion opens proceedings
When I go to a geneaevent and I don't have much time for taking photos or sharing stuff on social media it means I am not bored and may actually be learning something. Today, at the Society of Australian Genealogists "Lost in DNA Weekend", was such an occasion.

Martyn Killion, SAG President and MC extraordinaire, opened the event and reminded us that "The family history world has expanded and exploded with DNA." The parade of presenters was excellent and kept us awake all day.

There were a few highlights to my day, Listed in no particular order.

  • Meeting in person Louise Coakley, founder of the Using DNA for Genealogy - Australia & NZ Facebook Group.
  • Discovering that Mr GeniAus and my daughter have DNA matches to a SAG VIP.
  • Catching up with so many genimates, no names mentioned lest I miss someone.
  • A feeling of pride as a SAG Education Committee Member on such an excellent event.
  • Learning a few things eg How did I not know about the MedBetter Chrome Extension ? (Now installed).
  • Realising that I am not the only person who lives and breathes spreadsheets.
  • Understanding that I know a lot more about DNA than I thought I did.
  • Getting some fellow members of the Virtual Genealogy Association to join the Australia - NSW Chapter on Facebook.
  • Learning about the WATO tool that  I had previously ignored.
  • Hearing about an Australian Geneablog not in my RSS feed (it is now).
  • Listening to the Irish brogue and humour of Maurice Gleeson who presented in absentia via the wonders of technology.
  • The venue was comfortable and easy for an old girl to access. The airconditioning was a boon on a warm Sydney day and the morning tea was yummy.
  • Dinner at a pub under the Harbour Bridge with 20 something genies rounded off a spectacular day.
I wonder what they have in store for us tomorrow?

The lovely Louise Coakley up front, ready to open the event

2 comments:

Flissie said...

Sounds like a wonderful start to the conference. A lot to learn - but a pat on the back for what you already know.

Flissie said...

Sounds like a wonderful start to the conference. A lot to learn - but a pat on the back for what you already know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...