Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Trove Tuesday - The Rivers

Genies know that it pays to revisit one's Trove searches again and again.

My Dad grew up around the NSW country town of Canowindra where his father, Tom Curry, was a farmer. I knew that Grandpa managed a property called Fairview and another called Benevento in the district but until a few minutes ago did not know that in 1932 he also managed a property called The Rivers.

Today I ran the Trove search "Curry Canowindra" to see if I could find any new stories on the family. The first post blew me away as it described in great detail the property where the family worked, told me about my grandfather's activities and delivered a photo of Grandpa. The photo is very precious as we have very few closeup images of Tom. I can see some family resemblances in the picture even though it is of poor quality.

1932 'PLENTY OF LUCERNE', The Farmer and Settler (Sydney, NSW : 1906 - 1955), 26 May, p. 9. , viewed 29 May 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article117352000
The post is rather long so I have just shared the first paragraphs and the photo. The remainder can be read here: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article117352000.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...