Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Trove Tuesday - A question answered

Two years ago I wrote this post, Do you know Nellie Francisco?, which I will copy below. 
at the end of the post I posed a question to which I now have an answer. Please read on....

Do you know Nellie Francisco?



Going through an old photo album with my Mother today we came cross this photo "That's Nellie Francisco, I was her bridesmaid", Mum said.

Knowing that the photo was taken in Cobar I had a look at the NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages Online Historical Indexes. I put Francisco in the Brides Last Name at Marriage box, selected a date range of 1935 to 1945 and Cobar as the District where the event was registered.  Here is what I found.

It appears that Nellie (Ellen Elizabeth) became Mrs Jack Richard Buckley in 1940. 

Mum couldn't recall the name of the little flowergirl. I wonder who she was?
--------------------------------
I go back to Trove every now and then to repeat my searches. As I had a few minutes to spare recently I popped the terms Elsie Duncan Cobar into the search box to see what new items I could find and I was rewarded with an answer to my question. The little girl's name is Melva Bourne. You can read all about the wedding in this report that I found on Trove.

1940 'WEDDING.', Molong Express and Western District Advertiser (NSW : 1887 - 1954), 6 April, p. 8, viewed 18 March, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article140648797
This example demonstrates the value of redoing our Trove searches.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Definitely more and more is being added to Trove and the regional newspapers include such fascinating detail. The clipping tells us about the colours that would have been in the photograph. A timely reminder to redo some important searches.
Regards
Anne
http://ayfamilyhistory.blogspot.com.au

Bribie Family History Association said...

Yes regional newspapers are definitely worth revisiting Trove for - I love marriage reports, so much detail. Thanks Jill

GeniAus said...

The trouble is that I need to lock myself away for a year or two to do all the searches I should.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...