Monday, June 7, 2010

Spur of the moment student

I am aware that there are huge gaps in my knowledge in the field of genealogy and have been considering formal post-graduate study in genealogy for a number of years. I am often 'gunna' enrol in some award or other but never quite get around to doing do.

A few times I have looked at the offerings of the
NIGS (The National Institute for Genealogical Studies) and had read about their "Australian & NZ Genealogy" course. This appealed to me as it is a non-award course at a reasonable cost, led by an Australian genealogist, Kerry Farmer, with a good reputation. Perhaps it would help me decide if I really want to pursue formal studies in this area.

Last Friday a post on Facebook by Gould Genealogy alerted his friends that the next NIGS
"Australian & NZ Genealogy" would be starting today, 7 June. I enrolled on the spur of the moment.

It is Day 1 for this 'spur of the moment student' and I already have a good feeling about the course. The leader, Kerry Farmer, has emailed participants with details of the course and asked a few questions that will help her know her students. My reply to her elicited a prompt, warm and personal reply back form Kerry = A good start.

Now to read the course materials.....

4 comments:

Carole Riley said...

I have known Kerry for many years and can vouch for the thoroughness of any materials she presents. Let us know how it goes!

Shelley Crawford said...

Fantastic! Sounds like me, but I'm still in the "gunna" stage. I hope it goes well.

Shelley Crawford said...

I'm so tempted to see if I could squeeze in too... The website still has the option to register...

GeniAus said...

Shelley - would love you to join the party.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...